11.11.2012

Picture Book Style

Pierre Crab in Process
There are a couple of goals that I must accomplish as an illustrator and one at the top of my list is to illustrate a children's book.  Not the kind of book that can fit neatly into a diaper bag or backpack.  No, it must be the kind of book that sits on nightstands and must be read either bedside or whilst sitting on a lap.  It must be the kind of book that is read aloud and mostly covers the child's entire lap, often stared at for minutes before the next page is turned.

I have been working on a series of paintings done in picture book style.  I love this type of artwork because I love to see a child mesmerized by the items that can be discovered in the picture.  A bunch of hidden gems that make the story pop and come to life.

This series is commissioned as single panels, each telling a bit of a story.  By all means, the art belongs in book form along with the story that the client tells her child.  But for now, it will be placed in the child's newly designed room with intention of being what she will see before bed at night.
What a fun way to enter dreamland.

Pierre Crab 2012

One day I will find my author; maybe my own child, who writes non-stop, will pen a story just for this purpose. 
Maybe I will pull out some of my poetry written on bits of paper and tossed in drawers and just illustrate and compile.  
Until then, I will hone my skill and find a style distinctly my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment